The Bathroom Clock That Finally Survived My Showers
I own a drawer I never talk about. It has three dead clocks in it, each one bought with genuine hope, each one dead within weeks of meeting my shower.
Clock one. Lasted about a month. Cute little thing, decent price, display started flickering the same week I switched to hotter showers for winter. I blamed the cold snap. I did not blame the clock.
Clock two. Same brand, different color, purchased about a week after clock one officially died, on the theory that I had simply gotten unlucky the first time. Three weeks. Same flicker, same slow death. I blamed the brand this time, not myself.
Clock three. Different brand entirely, slightly more expensive, marketed specifically as bathroom safe. Made it almost two months before the battery compartment started showing a faint film of moisture I really should have investigated sooner than I did.
By clock three, I finally stopped blaming luck, brands, or the weather, and actually looked into what was going on. Steam, it turns out, is not gentle. Every hot shower fills the air with tiny water particles that sneak into anything with a gap, a seam, or a loose battery door, and most regular clocks were simply never built to survive that happening every single day.
Once I understood that, shopping got a lot less random. I started checking for an actual water resistance rating instead of trusting a bathroom themed design on the box, and I started paying attention to how the battery door actually sealed, since that turned out to be exactly where all three of my previous clocks had failed.
Clock four, the survivor, was a KADAMS waterproof shower timer clock with a real rating printed on the packaging instead of a vague label. My mom, tired of hearing this entire saga secondhand, ended up getting an OSTAR analog waterproof clock for her own bathroom, no digital display to fog up at all, just a sealed quartz face that genuinely does not care about steam.
Both have survived months of daily hot showers without a single flicker.
While I was figuring all this out, I ended up reading about what actually keeps a fog free shower mirror clear in that exact same steam, and it clicked immediately that it was the same underlying problem wearing a different disguise. Moisture doesn't care whether it's fogging a mirror or frying a clock's battery compartment. It just needs a way in.
The drawer of dead clocks is still there, mostly as a reminder not to buy anything for that room again without checking the one detail that actually matters.
You may also like: What actually makes a bathroom clock waterproof?
(This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase through them, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.)
Post a Comment